Lakeside Apartments fire accidental, say sheriff’s detectives

Lakeside Apartments on Oct.1, 2013. /westofthei.com photo by Karen Hillock

Lakeside Apartments on Oct.1, 2013. /westofthei.com photo by Karen Hillock

Kenosha County Sheriff’s detectives have determined that a fire at the Lakeside Apartments building in Camp Lake Friday morning was accidental, said Sgt. Bill Beth, Sheriff’s Department spokesman.

The cause of the fire was likely “careless handling of smoking materials” in an upper unit at the north end of the building, Beth said.

Town of Salem Fire/Rescue Chief Mike Slover said the fire appeared to spread up from a window in that room into the attic, where it then spread through the attic.

The fire was reported at about 3:50 a.m. Friday. Deputies arriving on the scene assisted in getting residents out of the building, even breaking into one unit. No one was injured, but the building is extensively damaged. About 20 people lived there; all have been displaced.

Related posts

Reader’s Photos: Another view of Lakeside Apartments fire

Readers Photos: Lakeside Apartments fire in Camp Lake

Camp Lake apartment fire scene update

Roads blocked due to fire in Camp Lake

0 Shares

Comments are closed.

  • Follow us on

  • Archives