UPDATE: Lakewood School cleared after gas smell incident

Lakewood School district administrator Joseph Price issued the following statement regarding a gas smell problem at the school this morning that led to an evacuation of the building for about 45 minutes:

Earlier today, a natural gas odor was detected around the school and we had to evacuate students for about 45 minutes while the building was being inspected. We are very proud of our students and staff for the way they conducted themselves. We received several compliments from the Twin Lakes Fire Department regarding our evacuation procedures.

The following was sent to each school family this afternoon:

Good Afternoon Lakewood Families,

This is Joe Price district administrator for Lakewood School. Earlier today, a gaseous odor was detected at school. We immediately notified the police and fire department and evacuated the building. After a thorough inspection of the school, the fire department, WE Energies, and the Sanitation department gave us the all clear to return to the building. It was not clear where the odor originated, but we were assured that the school was safe. As an extra precaution, we have brought in our HVAC inspectors to check our boiler system.  The safety of our students is always our top priority. Thank you for your time and have a wonderful weekend.

The school was unexpectedly closed for two days earlier this week due to boiler problems that arose Sunday.

Related Posts

Units responding to Lakewood School for gas smell

Lakewood School closed for boiler repairs



Comments are closed.

  • Follow us on

  • Archives