Lance G. Haas, former Wilmot UHS band-choir director, dies

Lance Haas directs Wilmot Union High School’s combined choirs and a percussion ensemble at a program in 2010 that named the school’s auditorium for him.

Lance G. Haas, longtime Wilmot Union High School band and choir director, died today, according  to an announcement on the Haase-Lockwood Funeral Home website. He was 64.

Haas taught at the school for over 40 years. he was such an institution at Wilmot that the auditorium at the school was named for him in 2010. (Here is our coverage of the program on that emotional night.)

There will be a visitation at Monday, Oct. 15, from 4 to 8 p.m., at Wilmot High School in the Lance G. Haas Auditorium. There will be another visitation Tuesday, Oct. 16, from 10 to 11 a.m. at Calvary Community Church, Highway 50 and Harris Road, Williams Bay, followed by a service starting at 11 a.m.

An full obituary is available here.

Here’s a Facebook group that has been set-up for sharing memories of Lance Haas.

1. Jack Niccolai says:

It’s hard to say goodbye. Lance was never one to give up. He passed his love for music and life to everyone he touched. His legacy will live on through his students and the countless other musicians and teachers he has influenced. I was privileged to know him and call him a friend. I will miss him very much, but mostly I will miss his smile. He always seemed to be wearing one.

2. Val Lass says:

What a great man!!! He made band a great adventure and a wonderful experience. Miss you and play on!!!

3. Jack Plovanich says:

Lance and I were colleagues for almost 25 years. He was a great help to me when I first started at Central H.S. We went through many, many Solo & Ensemble festivals together. Lance had the idea for the conference wide Honors day as well as many other great things. You are right Jack, he always had a smile on his face.
    (even during some of those mind numbing in service session we were subjected to.) Rest in peace old friend.

4. Melissa Phelps Sass says:

Mr. Haas was such an honorable, amazing, and inspiring man. I can’t express how important he has been in the lives of so many students. He motivated those to follow their dreams. Personally, he was the best role model and his belief in me is the reason I became successful.

5. Karen Mahoney says:

Lance was such a class act and a top notch musician. I always enjoyed our interviews and having the opportunity to share ‘music-speak’ whenever we got together. He will be very missed. May you rest in peace!

6. Jennie Christensen says:

It’s so hard to say goodbye to a great man. I can never hear Proud Mary or River Kwai or see duct tape without thinking about those 4 years in band. Sadly future generations won’t have a Mr. Haas in their lives. You’ll be greatly missed.

7. Rob Chapleau says:

A kind farewell to an inspirational man. Thank you, L.H. (with the trademark smiley face) for your great influence on my life. You were the role model that helped guide me into the teaching field, and as I start my 16th year as a band director I still have fond memories of my time as one of your students at WHS. You touched so many of our lives! It seems strange to think of you as departed now, but I know you are at peaceful rest with the Lord in Heaven. I will miss you.