Units responding to report of smoke at Trevor-Wilmot School

Photo by kconnors via morgueFile.com

At 7 a.m., Salem Fire/Rescue units and sheriff’s deputies are responding to a report of smoke inside Trevor-Wilmot School.

Dispatch tells responding personnel that the smoke is inside the building by a classroom.

UPDATE 7:03 a.m. — Dispatch says a light haze is being reported in the music room.

UPDATE 7:45 a.m. — One fire unit clearing the scene and returning to quarters.

UPDATE 7:49 a.m. — More units clearing the scene.

UPDATE 8:01 a.m. — Salem fire command reports to dispatch that some units are still on scene and that students are going to be bused to Station 1.

UPDATE 8:08 a.m. — Remaining fire units clearing the scene at the school and returning to quarters.

UPDATE 10:20 a.m. — The following is from Principal Ted Gavlin: “A heat pump in the band room burned out. It created smoke and knocked out an electrical panel to the new addition. Students were sent home because the building didn’t have electricity and the source of the problem needed to be determined. The situation has been corrected. The eighth grade graduation will take place tonight at 7:00 pm as planned. A half day of school will be held tomorrow as planned.”

View Larger Map


One Comment

  1. Erica Parent says:

    school has been cancelled. the school is sending out a recorded message to all the 7th and 8th grade parents to pick up their child at the trevor fire station. RUMOR has it, there was a fire in a circuit breaker near the music room and they have had to shut down power to the school.

  • Follow us on

  • Archives