Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program available

Photo by Darren Shaw via stock.xchng

United Way of Kenosha County in partnership with Carthage College, the Kenosha County Job Center and Guaranty Bank is excited to announce the return of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program for 2012.

The VITA Program offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally, $49,000 and below) individuals and families who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Certified volunteers have received training to help prepare basic tax returns in Kenosha County.

Free income tax assistance is available beginning March 1, and ends on March 31 and is being held at the Salem Community Library located at 24615 89th St. in Salem. Sessions at the library are held by appointment only on Thursday evenings from 5:30  to 7:30 p.m.and Saturday mornings from 9:30 a.m. to noon. Please call Laurie McDonald at 960-9178 to schedule an appointment.

You must provide the following information or your return cannot be filed:

  • Valid ID Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration (Please note: Forward Cards are no longer accepted as a form of identification) .
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return.
  • Current year’s tax package if you received one Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers.
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099-I) Social Security (SSA 1099).
  • A fully completed and signed rent certificate for the Wisconsin Homestead Credit.
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available.
  • Any notices received from the IRS or Wisconsin Dept. Of Revenue.
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number).
  • Any additional forms of household income, SSI, County Relief, Kinship Care, Child support.
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit.

For any questions please contact Laurie McDonald at 262-960-9178 or lmcdonald@kenoshaunitedway.org.


Comments are closed.

  • Follow us on

  • Archives