Summer is a time when blood donations tend to drop, but that is when first responders may need blood the most. As part of its summer blood donation effort —You to the Rescue — BloodCenter of Wisconsin is asking Kenosha County-area residents to help them meet a goal of 1,500 additional blood donations during the summer season.
First responders including police officers, fire fighters and paramedics, are partnering with BloodCenter to help raise awareness of the critical need for blood donations during the summer months, ending Aug. 31.
Kenosha area residents can come to the rescue of patients in need by making a life-saving blood donation at one of BloodCenter of Wisconsin’s upcoming drives. Call 1-877 BE-A-HERO (1-877-232-4376) or visit www.bcw.edu/appt to make an appointment. Drives are scheduled for:
- Twin Lakes. Tuesday, July 8 from 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at St. John the Evangelist Parish (Kctwinlakes), 701 N Lake Ave. At this drive, all attempting donors will receive a free one-day ticket to the Wisconsin State Fair.
- Pleasant Prairie. Wednesday, July 16 from 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Village Hall Auditorium, 9915 39th Ave.
- Salem. Thursday, July 17 from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at Community Library – Salem, 24615 89th St.
- Pleasant Prairie. Wednesday, July 23 from 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the Gathering Space at St. Anne Catholic Church, 9091 Prairie Ridge Blvd.
- Kenosha. Sunday, July 27 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Shirl’s Custard, 7943 Sheridan Rd.
Anyone 16 or older who is in general good health and meets eligibility requirements is encouraged to donate blood. Parental consent is required for 16-year-olds to donate.
Appointments are preferred to ensure a quick and convenient donation, but walk-in donors are also welcome. The entire process takes about an hour. Donors should bring a photo ID that includes birth date.
BloodCenter of Wisconsin is a not-for-profit organization that specializes in blood services, organ, tissue and marrow donation, diagnostic testing, medical services and leading-edge research. BloodCenter of Wisconsin is the only provider of blood to hospitals in 29 Wisconsin counties as well as providing support to hospitals and patients across the country. BloodCenter of Wisconsin advances patient care by delivering life-saving solutions grounded in unparalleled medical and scientific expertise. For more information, visit www.bcw.edu.