The extra manpower and equipment due to automated response at the scene of a fire in the Lake Shangri-la area of Bristol this morning was key in keeping the fire contained, Bristol Fire Chief Peter Parker said.
The two-story home in the 21100 block of 116th Street was heavily damaged. The fire’s origin was in the fireplace chimney and eventually caused damage in the basement and on first and second floors, Parker said. The floor trusses on the first level were heavily damaged prompting the village building inspector to red tag the home, which is currently unoccupied.
The fire appears to be accidental, but investigation is still under way, Parker said.
While the home was heavily damaged, the fire did not spread farther because of manpower and equipment available right from the start due to the automated response system that sends units from multiple fire departments immediately to the scene of reported structure fires instead of waiting for home fire department units to arrive and request aid, Parker explained.
“I’m sure some people are wondering why you have all of these people,” Parker said. “Having all of those people there was why we were able to contain this fire.”
Specifically, the extra personnel from the automated response and a MABAS box alarm to the second level allowed Parker to have firefighters on each level as well as enough outfitted firefighter to rotate and spell the crews already at work.
Turnout from paid on call firefighters was very good from the Bristol department with 14 firefighters responding, Parker said.
The initial automated response brought units from Bristol, Pleasant Prairie, Newport and Antioch fire departments. The box alarm brought additional equipment and manpower from Paris Fire and Rescue, Salem Fire/Rescue, Somers Fire and Rescue, Union Grove Fire Department, Silver Lake Fire Department, Randall Fire Department and the South Shore Fire Department. Twin Lakes Fire Department and Silver Lake Rescue manned the Bristol station.
No firefighters were injured, Parker said. The house is being boarded up to help secure it.